Sunday, April 22, 2012

Peer Pressure

When my husband told my daughter I had made an Inquisitor (and she squealed and hugged me), he also made a side comment.

"Well, girls, now we know what it takes to make Mom go to the dark side."

I looked at him and laughed.  "Peer pressure, right?"

I might like to chat with a friend every so often, but I can't be accused of allowing social pressure to dictate my every move.  For example, social pressure from my first Inquisitor companion, Khem Val, is not going to hold me back from being nice, despite his expectations.

The other day, I ran a quest in which I not only helped free a captive, while being nice to him even though he was a royal jerk who did his best to insult me, but also allowed a man who wanted to defect to the Republic safe passage to his chosen destination.

Holy moly, Khem Val did not like either of those!  By the time I was finished, I had lost a full 191 affection points from Khem Val.


When I first saw the large amounts of affection being removed, I wondered if I should continue with my chosen course, but the next instant, I decided Khem Val could just go jump in a pit or something.  Just because this monster doesn't like my choices doesn't mean I'm going to be the rude and arrogant Sith he thinks I should be.

I am a little curious, however . . .


What happens if my affection level reaches zero?  Will he finally decide to eat me, as he threatened when he first came into my service?

This is the difference, I guess, between having Qyzen, who follows my Consular around because he respects her, and having a monster who is only staying with me because he feels bound to do so against his will by his defeat at my hands.  (He attacked me first, by the way.)  It's freedom of choice versus the perception of captivity.

I think that could make a big difference in a companion's viewpoint.

I have no idea who or what the Inquisitor's second companion is, but I sincerely hope it is someone I can afford to bring with me, instead of Khem Val.  The presence of my arms and legs may depend upon it.

1 comment:

  1. Depends, if you are speced as a healer Val is really your only option. But if you are a DPS, somewhere around 40 something you will get a healing companion on Hoth.

    ReplyDelete