Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Challenge #12--A Usual Day

A usual day in my life is not terribly exciting; I'll tell you that up front.

About 6:00 am, I go wake up the girls for school.  My 3rd daughter sets the alarm on her iPod before bed, so by the time I get in there, they've been listening to some song or other for about 5 minutes.  I go start up the hot chocolate maker and pull out scriptures for morning study.  After the girls and I do our reading, they finish getting ready for school.

At around 7:00, the bus shows up, and the three girls still attending public school head out.  Depending on the day, the eldest (passed GED well) might be heading to work at this time, or she might be waiting until a little later.

I remind the 2nd daughter to pack up her laptop.  Roughly 7:30 or 8:00, she and I head down to my office.  (I have the great situation of working in a more relaxed environment about 5 minutes from my house, in a private office which was once a one-bedroom apartment.  People know my daughter is autistic and was bullied out of the local school last year, so they don't mind that she comes and sits in my office to do her homeschool work.  Sometimes living in a rural area is a really good thing.)

My work consists mostly of computer work, with a few other things interspersed.  So while I stay busy at my desk or run around talking to the people I need to see, my daughter keeps busy doing her studies, asking questions if she needs to do so.

We return home around 4:30 or 5:00.  (The school girls will have returned home around 4:40.)

Then it's homework time, as well dinner preparations.  (As well as dishes, a load of laundry . . . all that "normal" stuff . . .)  Generally, the 3rd daughter will end up doing her homework in the kitchen, where she is away from most distractions and where she can ask me questions as they come up, instead of getting bogged down and stymied.

At 7:30, it's time to get the younger girls ready for bed, which is at 8:00.  The 2nd and 3rd daughters retire at 9:00, and the eldest . . . well, we figure she's graduated, so as long as she gets her stuff done, holds down her job, and doesn't disturb anyone else, she can decide when she goes to bed.

My husband may be playing games on his computer, may be playing console games, may be watching YouTube, or may be streaming Netflix.  And I . . . I might be doing housework, gardening until it is dark, baking bread, blogging about bread, or reading on the computer or in a book.  Any SWTOR time is usually after the little girls go to bed, which means only a couple of hours, maybe three.

It's a lot simpler and less hectic of a schedule than when I was raiding in WoW and having to fit everything in before a four-hour block three nights a week, but by the same token, it's not as interesting to most people.

It is what it is.


Local flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment