Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Challenge #8--Ten Things You Don't Know About Me

When I wrote this for my WoW blog, I stuck with 10 things people didn't know about my character or how I played my character.  But I had a few years' worth of history from which to draw by the time I was writing that, so it was relatively simple.

SWTOR's only been around a little over 3 months (I resisted jumping on the meme . . .), so there's not much of real substance I haven't already spoken of in my blogging.  This means . . . I guess I'll have to reach into my real life to find 10 things you don't know about me.

1.  I was born in Germany.  (Army kid, after all.)

2.  I graduated from high school on Okinawa, Japan.  (Ditto above comment.)

3.  I have been on Good Morning America.  (Sorry, not going to link it here or you'll know my RL identity and where I live . . . not that I'm terribly afraid of stalkers, because we're in the middle of nowhere and because of item #4.)

4.  I have a concealed carry permit.  (Living in the middle of nowhere sort of necessitates this.)

5.  I am terribly socially challenged.  My husband wonders if our second daughter, who is autistic, got her condition from my genetics and, therefore, he wonders if I might also be somewhere on that very broad spectrum.  Might be; who knows?  At this point, whether I am or not, it doesn't matter, as I don't need special considerations to function in society.  To most people, with whom I interact superficially, I seem normal enough, if quiet.  To those who get past the superficiality, I just seem a bit eccentric.  This means, of course, I fit in very well with the geek crowd, where eccentricity is readily accepted.  /shrug

6.  When I was 15, my family had a ping-pong table on our enclosed porch.  I used to put one side up and spend hours batting the ball against it as a cathartic exercise.  It also helped hone my ping-pong sense to the point where I could trounce most people I met in college and everyone in my family.  While I never became expert, I am still at the point where most people consider me a reasonably good player.

7.  I don't get brain freezes; I get back freezes.  Seriously!  There's a spot about half-way down my back which seizes up and hurts like crazy in reaction to eating something cold, similar to a brain freeze.  When my husband realized I wasn't kidding him about it, he shook his head and said, "I knew it!  You really are wired differently."

8.  My favorite job ever was as a role player in training scenarios.  There's nothing quite like being in a house which ends up with the front door explosively breached (i.e., they use explosives to blow it open), then either being rescued or captured and questioned extensively, depending on the role you're playing that day.  I've been hysterical, evil, sneaky, obnoxious, etc., all in accordance with what was needed in the various scenarios.  I've screamed my head off, thrown myself at the pavement while running full tilt, lain on the floor amidst broken glass and dead insects (and worse), shot someone in the back with a very dense paintball and taken long-lasting bruises on legs and hands from said paintballs (other locations had armor).  Talk about an adrenaline rush!  I was very sad to have to leave that job, but . . . real life reared its ugly head, and I needed a full-time job instead of intermittent work.  /sigh.  It was then that I realized I would have absolutely loved to have been an actress . . .

9.  I have no fashion sense whatsoever in real life, and I hate shopping.  When my husband shoos me into a dressing room and starts passing clothing over the top of the door, it's not because he wants to control my wardrobe; it's because he knows if I don't get some help, I will never get any clothes.  (I always have final say.)  This also means that I am happy to leave the task of helping our teenage daughters shop for clothes to my husband, who has great fashion sense.  (This is probably one reason I'm glad the Sage clothing tends to coordinate . . . Not much thought required on my part.)

10.  I had PRK laser surgery when I was 36.  We investigated Lasik at first, but my corneas were too thin to maintain stability after Lasik, so the doctor recommended PRK, instead.  It's a much slower-healing and more painful process, but I was so absolutely delighted at not having to wear lenses (after 26 years of wearing them) that I still considered it money well spent.  Now, however, my age is starting to catch up with me, and I have to wear glasses in certain low-light situations.  (Or with certain kinds of fluorescent lighting . . . Wal-Mart, I'm looking at you!)

That's enough for now . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment