Monday, April 2, 2012

Challenge #3--First Day

My first day of playing SWTOR was on a beta weekend.

To be completely truthful, I had no idea I would end up playing at all.  My husband had preordered the game months previously, but at the time, I was still raiding in WoW and had no plans whatsoever to look at another game.  And when I quit playing WoW, my emotions were too raw (a combination of burn-out and emotional distress caused by certain players and family members) to consider signing up for another MMO.

So when my husband received his beta weekend invitation, roughly a month and a half after I had become a non-MMO-player, I was happy for him, but that was about the extent of it.  There was only one detail which marred his excitement about the whole thing:  he had to leave for a business trip that Sunday morning.

"Since I can't play on Sunday, why don't you take a look and see what you think?" he told me as we were packing up his clothing.

I shrugged.

I had done a little reading about the game when my husband had been researching it and already knew the Consular would fit my playstyle the best.  And, as I wanted to have eyes and didn't want horns, I figured the Mirialan would be my racial choice.  (Humans are boring.)  With these more simple choices out of the way, I was surprised how long it took me to fine-tune my character's appearance.  I knew there was no way I would ever remember the settings upon which I settled, if I ever found myself wanting to duplicate it, so I wrote them down.

I was delighted to find that most of the interface/movements/etc., was very familiar to me, being similar to WoW.  (Made life simpler.)  I was even more delighted to see the map go translucent when I ran with it up.  (Also made life simpler, if I wanted to follow marked paths.)  And I found I connected well with my character's demeanor.

Long story short, I fell completely in love with my Jedi Consular on the beta . . .

My husband figured out pretty quickly I'd had fun, so he bought me an account as an early Christmas present.  He got into early access before I did, obviously, but as we were in no hurry, it wasn't a big deal.  I don't remember that first day much, but the beta weekend, I do.

And I did use the character settings I wrote down when I created Anachan . . .

1 comment:

  1. Glad to have you blogging and, more importantly, having fun.

    ReplyDelete