Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sleeping In Warzones

Just to get the record straight, I was not sleeping in warzones; I was sleepy in warzones.  But I think the former made for a better title.

Given that I was still severely jet-lagged, I wondered if I should really log on after I returned home from going with my teenagers to their weekly activity at the church yesterday evening.  (No, I didn't drive in that condition.  My 15-yr-old is reasonably proficient by now, with something like 42 hours of driving under her belt, so I let her drive, and I tried to relax and veg in the passenger seat.)  But I decided that staying up a little later would actually help me recover from my jet lag, so, blinking blearily, I stared at Hikarinoko and logged her on.

"Just a couple of warzones," I thought.  "I'll just do enough for the daily, and then I'll call it."

/yawn

At level 19, it was a little risky to go try to start the class quest on Nar Shaddaa, anyway, so while waiting in the queue, I juggled sending companions on Diplomacy and Slicing missions (the latter always a roll of the dice) with checking out the level 20 pvp gear available.  (Who on earth thought up that horribly ugly orange chest piece?  I don't just mean it's moddable; I mean it's the color orange!  I keep postponing replacing my chest piece because they've all been so ugly.  I think Njessi's fashion awareness has been rubbing off on me.)

The first warzone was Huttball, and I'll be honest:  my memory of that run is so clouded I don't even remember if we won.  But it was a good way to relearn . . . again . . . where all my buttons were located.  (Oh, yeah, I can stealth . . . /sigh . . . how many times do I have to have this revelation?)  At least my brain was finally awakened to the point where I could remember I was supposed to be following the ball-carrier . . .

One down, one to go!  I requeued and sent my companions off on more missions.  (Well . . . I was resending them on missions all through Huttball, too . . . just not reading the missions very closely.)

The next one was Novare Coast, which was fine by me.  Remembering my daughter saying the east node was simpler to get at the beginning, I headed out that direction with another teammate, and together we picked it up for our side, unopposed.  He ran off to the southern node, while I stealthed and kept an eye on the hut with the controls.

I have to hand it to this team:  their responses were excellent.  The moment I saw someone unstealthed and trying to cap the node, I lobbed a bomb in his direction and called in Ops chat, "East help."  Soon, I had several people running my direction, which ended up being a good thing, as a few enemies suddenly appeared, as well.  (Whew!  Not overkill, after all.)

This happened several more times during the course of the encounter.  Every time I called for assistance, people arrived almost immediately.  The eastern node was never captured, some people made feints toward the western node just to keep the enemy busy, and the main group kept defending the southern node.  We won with no real difficulties.

I dinged 20 while turning in the daily quest, and one of my teammates from that last encounter clapped wildly.  Two implants and a belt later from the pvp vendor, I sent out the companions one last time and logged off.

My sleep was sweetly sound, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment