Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Compromises

I love my eldest daughter (17).  I really do.  And I don't mind playing with her, but we've had to come to a compromise as to how we will play together.

You see, she was excited enough to see me still playing, that she rush-leveled a Sith Inquisitor, Himeyami, to level 11 so we could run things together.  Last night was our first time to run around as a group, and while we waited for a warzone queue, we proceeded to an area where she had a quest.

Given that I had a rather difficult time emotionally with my own Inquisitor, it may come as no surprise I felt a little odd running around with one on my Agent . . . It didn't take long for me to tire not only of steamrolling over things, but also of her incessant remarks to Khem that he "could eat this one."  How could I feel like a sneaky spy if I was running around with a Sith flashing purple lightning everywhere, while accompanied by a massive red-skinned monster?  It just wasn't right.

Finally, our warzone queue popped up, and we found ourselves in a Voidstar run, starting as defenders.  As she already has another Inquisitor, it didn't take her long to start charging at people, with her version of a "Rebel Yell", sort of . . . It took me a little longer to remember where all my "important" stuff for PVP was located.  (Oh, yeah, here is the stun . . . and I can toss bombs all day . . . heal, heal, heal . . . what is this Tactical Advantage, and how do I know I have it? . . .)

After a while, I managed to have my feet under me a little better, so to speak.  It was enough, anyway, to be able to keep someone alive for a while . . . even if I ended up dying a lot.

We were able to stop the opposing team (When did same factions become able to oppose each other on Voidstar?) before they planted their second bombs.  The bar was set.

Our team blew the first left door pretty quickly.  My daughter and I were on the opposite, deserted side when it blew and raced down to extend the bridge with no opposition, then ran straight for the next door.  We were stopped, but the pattern was set.  The vast majority of the team remained on the left side door, while I kept running at the right, with one other person, varying according to who managed to rez at the same time I did.  (My daughter decided to enter the fray at the left side door, because, "We've almost got it!") We on the right usually kept three of the enemy busy, but we also kept getting killed.

Finally, one time I rezzed, I had a /facepalm revelation:  I can stealth!!!  (Wow . . .)

I stealthed and ran across the bridge, this time alone.  I noticed that there was only one person guarding the door, and he/she ran around in wide, somewhat agitated circles.  I told this to my daughter.

"There's only one person guarding this door.  Get over here!"

"Just a minute, I'm about dead . . . what kind of person is it?"

"It's a dual-wielding Sith . . . The one who has been killing me very quickly over and over."

She looked around her monitor with a big grin.  "A Marauder?  Oh, I know Marauders!  My main is a Marauder!  They have their weaknesses . . . Just a minute, I'll be right there."

I stealthed into the corner next to the door, beyond where the Marauder was patrolling, and waited.  Before too long, she ran from the left side and engaged the Marauder at the edge of the area between the doors.  I quickly stealthed to the door, unstealthed, and planted the bomb.

Our team immediately began streaming to our side, successfully defended the bomb, and that was that.

We couldn't resist bragging to my husband.  "That one was all us!!"  He gave us a high-five.

Yea, we know it wasn't "all us", but that final move was a coordinated effort.

After two more highly successful warzones--one a victory snatched out of the jaws of defeat--we came to the compromise that we would be Heroic and warzone buddies, but we would do our individual questing ourselves.  Neither of us are terribly worried about social points--only thing it ever did for me on my Consular was allow her to pick up a hat for her companion on Alderaan--and running alone is more of a challenge.

But we do make a pretty kickin' warzone team.

1 comment:

  1. This is why I started my Agent, class quest and PvP. They are a blast.

    ReplyDelete