Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Datacron Chase

After a week and a half of not logging on the game, I found myself staring at my computer and wondering if I really wanted to log on at all.  I finally did log on, stared at my Consular, then logged off and logged in my Gunslinger.  After a couple of quests in which I remembered how much of a pain it was to take on a gold elite as a dps with Corso as my companion (He always dies), I decided I didn't want to do that anymore.

What to do?  What to do?

Then I remembered that a member of my guild had posted up a list of the datacrons useful to a Jedi Consular.  A few should be reasonably easy, I figured, since they were in areas where a level 50 could walk with impunity and not worry about being interrupted.  Why not?

Because it takes my computer an eternity to load SWTOR back in after alt-tabbing out to look at something, I printed the datacron list and eyed the first Willpower one:  Tython.

Tython

After I arrived in the general area of the datacron, map location -648, -72, I noticed a pink glow coming from a ridge above me.  My heart beat faster:  this had to be it!

It took a little bit of tricky riding to reach it, but nothing compared to the gymnastics my husband's trooper has put me through during our questing.  (He seems to think, sometimes, that the shortest distance on the map really should be the best way to a location . . . I've actually been so stuck sometimes I had to QuickTravel out of the situation . . .)

/hits Staples Easy Button . . . "That was easy."

Taris

On to Taris!  (Amazingly enough, I found some of those critters on Taris did try to attack me.  I looked at them with an expression of scorn and cast Forcequake.)

Finding the map location of the datacron at -362, -227 was easy; finding the actual datacron was not quite as easy.

The map location of the datacron had two layers:  the ground and something above it.  I looked in both locations and found nothing--not even a faint pink glow.  I finally decided I must be missing something and hit YouTube.

There, I learned that there was yet another layer:  underground.

Ooooooooh, I hadn't thought of that . . . /bonk noggin . . .

My husband came to look about that time, and I told him I'd just be another minute, while zooming through winding underground tunnels.  At last!  There it was--another +2 Willpower.

Tatooine

A couple days later, while waiting for most of the mopping I'd done in the house to dry, I sat down and decided to try for another datacron.  Tatooine seemed like a good spot, and I quickly discovered it was easy to locate the position of the Willpower datacron there at map location 2115, -596.


The datacron was easy to spot, that is, but the path to get there was not simple to find.  As a matter of fact, although I rode all the way around the area upon which the datacron sat, I could not figure out how to get there.  It seemed to be at the end of a cave, but there weren't any obvious cave entries.

Once again, I sheepishly turned to YouTube . . . And I discovered that the entrance to the cave is located at a tricky spot partway down a cliff.  (Tricky because it does require a bit of tricky jumping to reach it without overshooting . . . On the bright side, when I did overshoot it and land on a lower rock, the game automatically sent me to the nearest bind point, which was a good thing, as my QuickTravel was down from a previous attempt.)

Bit of rock jutting out into a wide open space.  This is the right place.
The tunnel contains several mobs, from normal to strong, to gold elite, but as I was running this at level 50, they were only a minor nuisance.

+3 Willpower is mine!  (Yes, Nadia and I are kind of twins . . .)

Alderaan

I was on a roll, so I decided to hit Alderaan while I was at it.  It was simple enough to discover that the Willpower datacron on Alderaan was located inside Castle Panteer at map location -2508, -427, and it was easily seen upon entering said castle.

There it is on the second floor!
As you may guess, there was where the simplicity ended.  I tried every elevator, but they only took me to quest areas, not to the mezzanine.  I ran all around the interior, looking for doors I hadn't noticed.  I rode all around the exterior, thinking perhaps there was another way inside.

/sigh . . . Apparently severely lacking in "thinking outside the box" abilities, I turned yet again to YouTube . . . and wanted to just bang my head on my desk when I discovered the secret.

In the southwest corner of the main hall, there is a door which appears to be closed, but upon closer inspection, there is a way through.  If I had walked around the very edges of the room, instead of running by a little farther in, I would have seen it.


After that, it's easy.  Run up to the mezzanine, circle counter-clockwise around the room, and there you are!

Another +3 Willpower!
At least I'm expanding my Willpower, even if I've been relying on YouTube.  Now I'm going to have to work on expanding my creative thinking . . .

2 comments:

  1. Try full screen window mode, it makes alt tabbing much more bearable (no load times), without sacrificing screen size. Really helped me.

    Gilomor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, hadn't even thought of trying that. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete