Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hail to the Healer!

I do not understand why the SWTOR warzone queue would put together a team with no healer.

The other day, I solo-queued for warzones and found myself in a Voidstar run which seemed really, really odd.  The Rebublic started out defending, and I ran back and forth between the doors, checking things out and healing when needed.  But strangely enough, frequently there were no Empire players at all.

Seriously.  Our team would be split between the doors, with nary a red name in sight, filing our nails or checking the calibration of our weapons.  As I hit my Meditation key, I wondered if the Empire was trying very hard.  The round ended with no bombs planted.

In the second round, we plowed our way to victory with almost no opposition.  Again, sometimes I wondered how much effort the Empire team was putting into the warzone, especially because they didn't kill me very often, which almost never happens.

As the victory board flashed up on my screen, the answer became imperatively obvious.  I had done something to the effect of 295k healing during the course of the warzone.  The next highest figure was about 9k and owned by a Jedi Knight.

THE EMPIRE TEAM HAD NO HEALERS!

As a matter of fact, our team only had one--me.

No wonder there had been times with no enemies in sight!  Without a healer, they had been killed quickly and had been stuck waiting for the rez area to allow them back in the warzone.

No wonder they hadn't killed me very often!  When they had tried, I could keep myself alive long enough for our dps to beat them up.  Without a healer of their own, they were helpless against the efforts of our damage-dealers, while I could prop up the members of our team when they took damage in return.

And no wonder we steamrolled them!  Without a healer, all our team had to do was keep chipping away at their health points, while we had some way to recover when they chipped at ours.

When I mentioned this to my husband, he pointed out I could be incorrect in my understanding of the situation.  "They might have had a healer," he said, "but that healer might have been unwilling to heal."  Perhaps so, but I have a hard time thinking a person in possession of a healing ability who is on a team being trounced so badly would sit back and not heal at all.

Warzone queues shouldn't create teams with such a disadvantage.  Each team should be guaranteed at least one person in a healing spec, regardless of the quality of said healer.  Having even one healer on a team can make all the difference between victory and defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment