Friday, February 3, 2012

Chasing Medals

When I was playing WoW, there was a lot of discussion about healers or dps "padding meters".  That is, players were doing things to make their total healing or dps numbers appear larger, while not necessarily performing to their optimum abilities to progress the raid.  It was a practice I did not like and did not approve, and I tried, whenever possible, to discourage any talk about meters among my healers.

So I was really surprised to see someone on the SWTOR Jedi Consular Sage forums asking if Sages were, basically, padding the meters in warzones to gain more medals.

Huh?

As I continued to read, I found that, apparently, some Sages purposely deplete their health using Noble Sacrifice, then heal themselves back up again, just to increase their showing on the numbers.  There was some discussion as to whether or not this practice made an appreciable difference, with parties taking sides in the issue.

I was flabbergasted and amazed.  Why would I want to Noble Sacrifice and heal myself?  It wouldn't even occur to me to do so!  It's sort of like standing in the fire on purpose, just so you could heal yourself and have a higher showing on healing meters.  (I knew someone who used to do this . . .)  As far as I am concerned, it is dishonest and unbecoming of a person with good character.

It has been my experience that there is generally enough healing to be done in any given warzone that such meter padding is unnecessary.  The medals for healing certain benchmarks sort of automatically come to a healer who, well, who heals and keeps healing.  I haven't ever seen a medal for "top healing in the game", anyway, so I'm not sure it actually brings any tangible benefit.

It's so much fun to bubble half the group while running down the halls of the Voidstar or to prop up the ball carrier just long enough for him to get off that throw that I have no time to think about sneaky ways to make myself appear more effective than I am.  I'll just work at being effective for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment