Monday, January 16, 2012

"You Want to Turn Yourself In"

Some time back, when my husband and I were leveling our characters at a much lower level, we encountered a quest on Coruscant which I did not want to do.

It wasn't that the quest looked terribly difficult; it didn't.  But I was so tired, I was about to fall over on my keyboard.  All my begging to quit and go sleep had been met with, "But we just need to finish this quest right over here," or, "But if we finish this quest, we won't have to come back to this area," or some such statement.

So when we ran into this quest on our way back "home", I wanted to ignore the poor injured security officer, log off, and go to sleep.  (After all, she would still be standing there, injured, in the morning.)

"Ah, c'mon," my husband insisted.  "We can't just pass by and not help out."  I glared at him between my half-closed eyelids around our back-to-back monitors as he initiated the conversation with the security officer.

It turns out this security officer was supposed to arrest a big wrestler-type-or-something dude who was holed up in the cantina right next to us.  She obviously needed some help.

It was easy to find the guy, as he was the largest person in the room.  In the course of the conversations associated with the quest, the dude told us in no uncertain terms he was not going to allow himself to be arrested.

At that point, there was the opportunity for we, the players, to respond to his statement.  One of my options as a Jedi Consular was to Force Persuade the guy.  (You know, the "old Jedi mind trick".)

I was tired.  I wanted to sleep.  I wanted this quest finished as quickly as possible.  Blinking bleary-eyed at the monitor, I chose Force Persuade.  Amazingly enough, I won the roll.

My husband's jaw dropped as my Consular made a hand gesture and said, "You do not want to fight us.  You want to turn yourself in."  The wrestler agreed and headed out the door.

"I'll have you know," said my husband as we returned to report to the security officer, "you have just severely disappointed Qyzen, Aric, and my character, who all wanted a good fight.  But I guess that's what you get sometimes when you quest with Jedi."

We were asleep in ten minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment