Friday, January 20, 2012

Jedi Mind Tricks

My SWTOR guild website has a "getting to know you" thread with 20 fun questions.  One of them asks, "How often have you tried to force choke or use Jedi mind tricks on someone?"

I answered that I'm a mom, so I do it all the time.  "You do not want to disobey me. You will pick up the shoes you left in the living room." Sometimes I'll even do that little hand wave in front of my face. (Ask my kids.)

Well, yesterday, my 8-yr-old proved she's been paying attention.

It was school Spirit Day at her rural school, which shares a campus with the high school and so shares their Homecoming week celebrations.  The kids had been frantically running around the house, finding their requisite green and white to sport in support of the basketball team.

The 8-yr-old, with her unique sense of fashion, had dressed herself in white tights, white capris, and a white turtleneck, with a green and white dress-up cheerleader costume over it.  As the bus was driving up the hill and preparing to turn around at the cul-de-sac before stopping in front of our house, I reminded her to get her winter coat, which is blue and pink.  I couldn't see it by her backpack.

"Where did you put your blue coat?"  I asked her.

"Mom, my coat is green," she replied.

I understood she would rather be wearing only green and white, but the fact of the matter was her coat was blue.

"No, it isn't. Where is that coat?" I said, a little anxious now that the bus was getting closer.

She turned to face me and with that gesture characteristic of all Jedi, waved her hand in front of her and said, deadpan, "My coat is green."

I stopped in my tracks, stared at her and burst out laughing.  Mommy stress diffused, she turned around and picked her less heavy coat off the hook--a light green coat which had completely slipped my mind.

As she headed out the door with her sisters, I couldn't help shaking my head in amazement, still chuckling.  She surely is a precocious little Jedi.

No comments:

Post a Comment