Sunday, July 22, 2012

Singing a Song of Vector

I had always been under the impression that a healer should solo quest with a tank companion, a tank should quest with a healing companion, and a dps . . . well, I'm not sure what a dps should quest with, but as I don't play pure dps characters, it hasn't been a real concern.

So I kind of thought I was being a rebel when I decided to run Hikarinoko with Vector, melee dps, instead of Kaliyo, tank, . . . because he is more like someone I would want to know in real life.  After all, his past is squeaky clean (i.e., nobody is trying to chase him down and kill him from halfway across the universe), he speaks gently, he never condemns what I do (even when he doesn't agree), and I don't lose points when questioning the sanity of certain missions or expressing sympathy . . . What woman wouldn't want to hang around someone like this?

Ok, so he shares thoughts with a bunch of bugs, his eyes are completely black, he speaks of himself in the Killik collective mentality plural, and he's still relearning a lot of human interaction.  I realize this might increase the likelihood of his being judged creepy.  But he's something of a poet, and in addition to all the admirable qualities listed above, a good turn of phrase can go a long way toward winning my affection.

My husband gets a kick out of hearing me giggle when Vector says something which tickles my fancy.  For example, the other day, when Vector was told by a Minder to accompany her for debriefing, he replied, "We'll sing you our journey's song, but we'll need the main hall for the acoustics . . . "  (Gotta love the imagery!  Well, it was a rather epic tale he had to tell.)

And when I suggested we needed to do something about some potentially threatening missiles, he showed his rarely seen sense of humor . . .

"We see your point.  Maybe we should call the nest--a line of two hundred Killiks, each with a missile on its back . . ."

(At least, I think it was his sense of humor.  He might have actually been serious . . .)

To top it off, we haven't really had any trouble tackling our challenges, despite not having a "tank", so to speak.  He kills things quickly enough that I can juggle healing, tanking, dps, and cc and keep us alive, even in somewhat less-than-perfect gear.  (Usually.)  The other night, we took on a gold elite two levels above us and managed the encounter with no real difficulty.  (This might not impress some of the really good players, but remember, my husband says I play like a scared rabbit.)

When I mentioned the opening point of this blog to my husband, he told me, "Well, Honey, it's all about playstyle.  If his playstyle works with the way you like to play, and you're doing fine, then there's no real reason to change.  Besides," he said with a grin, "you seem to enjoy playing with him.  He suits you."

It's a good thing my husband doesn't mind me being somewhat madly in love with a figment of a game designer's imagination . . .



1 comment:

  1. He, Vector was my companion of choice, too. Give him proper equipment and modifications and he even becomes a decent tank. My female Agent (who reached Light V at the end of Belsavis, go figure...) worked really well together. He always liked my Agent's decisions. Even when she became a double-agent: booom! Big fat aproval points.

    Now, if Bioware would give us the opportunity to get rid of one companion? Yeah, Kaliyo would have to leave.

    ReplyDelete